24 July 2018

Blessed honored pioneers

Yesterday was a workout, full of tension, anxiety, and release. As I was going to sleep last night, I had an inspiration: “Start the day with the morning devotional.” The idea is familiar to me, and in the past I’ve bookmarked it, but never taken action and made it a serious practice. This morning, on Pioneer Day, I made a start and a commitment to myself to work it in somehow, and already I’m pleased with how it’s shaping my day.

Yep, I am a descendent of people who were “Mormon pioneers.” I’ve also come from people who pioneered in other times and places by surviving and stopping cycles of addiction and abuse; by embracing new faith and unfamiliar ways, and making strenuous journeys within the walls of their ordinary homes, rather than through the dust and miles of a wild nation. I’m proud of all the members of my families who’ve in one way or another pushed on, faced fears and darkness and resistance, and stretched toward the light of hope. I honor them today, and I’m grateful I took some personal time to sing and study and pray and reflect. I’m interested in making morning devotional a daily practice, even if it’s only for just a handful of minutes before the usual craziness of the day begins.

To all pioneers, past, present, and future, I offer my respect and gratitude for your spirit of continuing and for your beautiful and imperfect courage. I want to be like you.

No comments: