18 June 2018

Reasons


1- Three cicadas came into my house this afternoon, on a stick brought home from the canyon by a happy hiker who shall remain nameless. “They’re on their way out,” he said, meaning out of this world, as in they’re near the end of their life cycle and they’ll soon be on their way to Bug Heaven. By this evening all three had defied the captor’s logic and gone off exploring in our house. This one was found, and we each took a turn holding him-her-they. The cicada resisted being taken outside and left in a tree and kept flying back onto Rob’s shirt. Finally, I encouraged it onto a green branch and it stayed. There are still two cicadas somewhere in my house.

2- Watching The Incredibles 2, for free, in a lounge chair theater. I fell under the Pixar spell, as I always do. The pre-show short, Bao, had me in tears. The feature, of course, was excellent, such good storytelling and execution. It’s probably strange how much gratitude I feel for Brad Bird, but I love his vision, and his creative integrity. He and his collaborators add to the collective joy in this world. If I were counting up reasons to keep on living, I would put seeing Brad Bird’s films-yet-to-be on the list, and not too far from the top, no kidding. Thank you to SmartyStreets for letting Rob and me share some seats in your private Cinemark screening today.

3- Clean water

4- Mexican Coke

5- Nice aunties and uncles who love Moxie

No comments: