05 May 2011

Skin and Bones

Strange. I've been working outside, spring cleaning our clutter-challenged back patio. Wearing my big leather gloves. Hauling, sweeping, scrubbing, hefting, burning off an afternoon funk. That worked pretty well; I'm feeling better. The strange part happened when I came in just now for a drink of water and to write myself a note about things to pick up from Home Depot (hose reel, gas can). I slipped out of my work gloves and in the kitchen sink lathered up with dishsoap. My hands felt shockingly tiny, the merest most delicate bones. So insubstantial, fragile. I don't recall having that sort of feeling before. I felt as if I were washing a child's hands. Even now, as I sit here, typing, I stop and rub my hands and they seem so very small. They look fine. It's only how they feel. I'm trying to take it in. I'm sure I'm about to wax philosophical. But these hands have other work this evening besides blogging, so I guess I'll keep these ruminations to myself.

7 comments:

Johanna said...

I have had that same experience! Or something like it, anyway, where suddenly the feel of your own hands/body is completely unfamiliar. The size and shape of your own bones, uncharacteristically tiny.

Don't know why this of all your posts is the one to make me respond--i love to read them all.

ox.

Melody said...

I've had this experience. Several times. Tiny, womanly, child-sized, delicate bones - more fragile than I usually think of them.

These skinandbones have made worlds.

Chemical Billy said...

How odd and wonderful, Geo (in the old sense of the word wonderful - it fills me with wonder). I can feel it as I read...!

Dr. Stockton said...

"So insubstantial, fragile."

Sure, one could say that, but if you were wielding a baseball bat, I wouldn't be among them.

Elizabeth said...

I haven't stopped by on practically anyone's blog for EVER (I need to return to blogdom), but just stopped here. It's always a happy thought to brush shoulders with you. I love you so.

Angela said...

I randomly ran across Rob's mormon.org profile. It's great. I love living in this beautiful, small world!

Melody said...

I've had a similar experience with my hands. . .beautiful post

These skin and bones have made worlds.