04 January 2011

So I Married a Magpie

Look at the shiny thing Rob found in the road by IFA and brought home for me. I'm pretty sure it had been run over once... or twice. Yeah, that is a little grease on it. I got that on my hands, in my hurry to open my first-ever package of baseball cards. 


They were printed 12 years ago! Who buys baseball cards and doesn't open them for 12 years? Am I missing something important about baseball card culture? Are these guys even still playing?


Can you spot any modern-day Babes in this lineup? What do I know? Nothing. Somebody help me out here. About the closest I get to baseball is watching soccer when I eat at Mama Pupusa's across the street.


Oh well, I'm more interested in bird-watching than big league, and I do find it fascinating to study the stuff my pet collects. I really like that magpie. Here's a fun song for him that I hope won't ruffle his feathers—



4 comments:

Dr. Stockton said...

What, no bubble gum? The bubble gum from baseball cards (and their ilk) was just the best.Sure the internet could probably tell me where I could find it (from a supplier in Youngstown, but I'd have to buy it 5000 at a time).

Lucky Geo ...

Nigel said...

There is, in fact, a collector's market for unopened packs. Especially if they're from a set or era with particularly valuable cards. I guess you pay extra for the elusive chance that YOUR pack contains THAT card. p.s. They stopped putting gum in the packs about 20 years ago. I miss the chalky little pink slabs...

Scott said...

I'm partial to football and hockey cards myself, though I haven't seriously collected for a few years. Either way, that's a fun find in my book.

Alex "Rook" Grover said...

Rob a magpie? No, I think he is much too gentle spoken for that.