15 September 2009
Georgia's got a squeezebox
So many reasons to smile today—
1. I was at Costco, browsing through the nicer cheeses. A young woman came up and began restocking the cooler. Her name tag said "Bree."
2. When I pulled into my driveway I noticed that a big fat orange rosehip on one of my rose bushes was wearing a smiley face. At first I thought some kid had drawn it on, but after I parked the car and walked over to inspect, I discovered that the rosehip had grown the marks naturally.
3. I found a bathing suit from the Esther Williams era at Savers. I feel sure it could swim all by itself.
4. I saw a portly little old lady wearing an incredible top covered in iridescent sequins that looked like scales from a fiery fish. She glowed! I gushed out a compliment. She expressed a little uncertainty about having worn it, but I told her not to worry, that she looked glamorous. She rewarded me with a Hollywood smile and slowly walked away, talking to me and to herself about glamour.
5. Izzy got a haircut, long overdue, and for once he didn't come home from the groomer looking like a naked rat.
6. I didn't drown during my swim lesson.
7. A nice kid at the rec center who reminds me of my cousin Casey gave me free admittance to the pool, etc. during the weeks I am in class.
8. I voted my conscience.
9. We got an accordion! It's a petite one, a 12-bass, second-hand. It sounds great. When we went to check on it (and the larger one we hope to also buy), the price was down twenty-five from last week, and then a guy with a vest and a key knocked another twenty bucks off once we decided to buy it.
10. Rob made omelettes for dinner and read me Isaac Bashevis Singer while I painted.
11. I got the last coat of paint down on the office floor, finally. Is that room ever white!
12. Mel Bay.
13. Maybe Roxanne found us a third accordion in Alaska. Honestly, what's the matter with me?