04 February 2008

Super Monday

I'm with Marlin K. Jensen. He suggested earlier today in an interview shown on BYU-TV that, perfectly framed by Super (Bowl) Sunday and Super Tuesday, something truly remarkable has set today apart as Super Monday. Less than two hours ago, the general leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held a press conference and announced to the world the new First Presidency of the Church. Thomas S. Monson was introduced as our 16th president and prophet, with Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf as his 1st and 2nd counselors, respectively. My heart goes out to these men whom I love and value. Following introductions and at the end of a half-hour Q & A session, President Monson asked all to remember the First Presidency in their prayers. I say, You got it, President.

It's an amazing thing, this transition. My time is short for writing today, so I'll just say that I'm really grateful to have been part of the "President Hinckley Era," as some people have begun this week to refer to it, and I'm thankful too to be starting on this new journey with President Monson. I'm taking his request seriously; I want to pray for these leaders. I felt today just how deeply such prayers are needed. These men are some of the Lord's finest; they strive to follow inspiration and do God's work of loving, enlightening, ministering, and lifting. As part of a lay church, they didn't ask or compete for these responsibilities, but they are graciously and humbly willing and, to my view, extremely able to take them on and wear out their lives in the Master's good service. I am proud of them. I honor them. I do pray for them, and I hope you will too. Those are some mighty big shoes to have to fill.




8 comments:

Debra said...

Hi Georgia! I hope you don't mind my having been lurking for a couple months. It was so wonderful to see you and Rob at the Christmas music fireside, even if for a brief minute. But I sure miss your pretty face and remember fondly the time we spent as neighbors.

The principle you mention here of "wearing out" your life has been on a lot of our minds and I appreciate so much those that are willing to do that. I have some work to do in that regard (I just wrote about this last night, in fact).

Thanks for your thoughts!

mirjam said...

And one of then is German.... It can't get any "truer" than that :)

Geo said...

Heya, Debra! Not only are you de-lurking, you're also blogging! Double hurray! I will check out your spot oh so gladly. This is such a great way to reconnect. Great, I mean, for people like me who don't know how to use telephones. I'm happy you're around.

MIrjam, that's funny, because as we watched the press conference, I laughed when Elder U. walked in as the obvious 2nd counselor and snickered to Rob that now it'll all be even more true. I think that joke is permanently part of our family vocabulary now. Isn't it nice to know you have achieved a measure of immortality that way?

Am'n2Deep said...

I already feel a great love for President Monson, and his ability to reach out to the one. He's a man of simple service and great compassion. He's thoughtful with his unique poetic style. And I love his dry sense of humor.

Presiden Eyring is so heart-felt. President Uchtdorf, radiates strength.

God bless them, all three!

i i eee said...

I really like Elder Uchtdorf. It is such an exciting time to be here on earth.

I've bumped into Pres. Monson three times in my life so far, so it's cool to know that I've had those experiences with him and now he's the prophet.

I will keep them in my prayers as well.

Jamie said...

Geo, such a fun post! I, too, was thinking of yesterday as Super Monday--I mean, of the three events, the world getting a new prophet was the super-est, right!? Love that snapshot of TSM. Ahhh, and the work rolls forth!

La Yen said...

Papo (W's dad) is Cuban. You should HEAR him try to pronounce Uchtdorf. This is like a special present from Heavenly Father to me--I get to mock my father in law for the next administration. Perfect!

Geo said...

AM'N. When I was watching the press conference, President Eyring and President Uchtdorf looked for all the world like two straight, strong columns—wide, white pillars—flanking President Monson. I felt really good about them.

I I EEE. I agree with you. I wouldn't trade this time for any other (bad days notwithstanding).

JAMIE. Yesterday was Super Gram day for me—Gram's birthday. The election paled in comparison . . . .

LA YEN. Hey, score! That's at least a decade, maybe two, of good fun! Congrats!