As per Rynell's friendly invitation to join in some uninhibited bloggerly exhibitionism, I am finally getting around to turning thoughts into keystrokes. This morning I came up with a pretty good angle on the "8 Random Things About Me" meme, so what you get from me today is this:
8 REASONS I COULD ARGUABLY BE CALLED A HIPPIE, EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT ONE
1. I use henna. Last night I couldn't fall asleep, so just before 11:00 I embraced my insomnia. I went upstairs, put on a kettle of water to boil, mixed it with some special green henna leaf powder from the health food store, slapped the hot sludge on my head, and in a couple hours I became a drum circle redhead.
2. I do yoga. And while I, wrapped in plastic and towels, waited for the herbal muck to do its job, I did yoga for an hour. I also drank a cup of chamomile tea.
3. I wear strange jewelry. I wore a jingly silver bellydance belt with my outfit on our last anniversary. Today I am wearing a choker made by my sister-in-law—it's finger-woven cotton with a green chakra stone in the center, to help heal the heart.
4. I smell funny. My deodorant is patchouli. My body lotion is patchouli. I wear patchouli essential oil on a regular basis. I inherited my love for patchouli from my mom's best friend, who really was a hippie.
5. I heart Birkenstocks. I wish I had a pair! (Wore my last ones into the ground.)
6. I dabble in alternative medicine. My main doctor is a naturopath.
7. I believe in wheatgrass. I grow it. I juice it. I actually like it. And to implicate myself further, I shop for and eat organic food as much as my budget will allow.
8. I like Neil Young. I wouldn't have been at all comfortable at Woodstock (even if I had been older than five), but I sure like some of the artists who played there. The Who? The Incredible String Band? Ravi Shankar? Santana? Jimi Hendrix? Oh yeah! And even Janis Joplin on occasion.
Okay, that's plenty about me. Who wants to play next?